Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Who do I talk to about art?

First off, I must say that talking about my art has ALWAYS been an extremely trying thing for me. Because of my ever-looming lack in self-confidence and nervous demeanor, I often find it hard to talk to people about my art. I find it especially hard to talk about these things to people who I'm not familiar with or who don't understand who I am. Especially lately, my art is such a personal thing that explaining it troubles me constantly.

As I totally contradict my previous statement, I have to admit, I feel like I'm figuring things out and talking about my art in class this semester is becoming an easier task. I think I'm starting to find myself understanding more and more about my brains as I make more art and try to explain why I am justified in making it.

Herein, Talking to a certain art professor is what I do daily. This is my rant on how thankful I am to have someone who puts up with me coming to him for any little problem/idea/tangent I have to blab about. It has helped me so much to be in conversations about art and hearing ideas and throwing out ideas. It's definitely what I need right now. Someone to get me thinking more about it and encouraging my artmaking is getting me to understand how much i NEED to make art. Thanks, Tinder.

I also talk to people in my classes about art. It's interesting to get so many different backgrounds and opinions on it. I like to hear them because it helps me solidify my stance on art. While sometimes stressful, I find interest in the conversations in all my art classes.

I also talk to my friends who graduated last year about art. I like to talk to them because they have been out of the college setting for a while now. They know what it's like to have no one constantly inquiring and encouraging. Some of them are still extremely involved in art-making while others have vowed retirement. I want to be one who pursues. I truly don't think I can be content without creating. What that means I don't fully know. I just know that I need to be able to inspire my own creation when the time comes that I am not in the GVC Art Dept anymore.

I guess that's a few of the people I talk to art about.

No comments: